Thursday, February 28, 2019

THE NAME THAT ATE A NIGHT

It's funny how just a name can send you back decades. Tapper Zukie, the reggae DJ, my first reggae 45 ever. Bought at a record store once owned by Dan McClain (some years later he would be branded Country Dick, from the eighties band the Beat Farmers). There weren't many record stores carrying reggae back then, before the Marley explosion. Ratner's Electric, downtown, had the best reggae section at the time. I seem to remember that the odd pairing of an electrical supply shop with a small reggae record department was the doing of Dave Allard, a guy who would later open up his own shop, Strictly Reggae. The local reggae crowd back then was mostly black. The only guys I knew who really knew reggae, more than me anyway (which wasn't much at all), were a couple of older white guys, Mad Jack and Looby. Cool guys, good overall tastes and knowledgeable. Way more multi-cultural than anyone else I knew. I think that's when I first become aware of Allard. See? I'm just getting started, just from the name Tapper Zukie. Screw it, I ain't got all night.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Tapper Zukie - New Star (streaming) at YouTube
Johnny Clarke and Tapper Zukie - Phensic mp3
at Pixie Radio
Tapper Zukie - Double Struggle mp3
at Radio Milwaukee
Cool mix:

Algoriddim 20030530: Tappa Zukie Part 1 at Internet Archive Tapper Zukie cuts and others with shared riddims. Download: In the right column, under "Download options" click on "VBR MP3 Files"

No comments: