Monday, July 6, 2020

ENNIO HAS A POSSE

Ennio Morricone passed. I heard about it earlier today, but would have forgotten to mention it here had it not been for a heads up from the man from Bergen. Morricone should be familiar to most of you even if you don't know his name. Rather than blab on, here's the text and songs from a post a year and a half ago. A link to the obit at the Guardian is below.

I was in the cereal aisle of a major retailer, going about my business, some distant whistling drifting in from the next aisle. Whoever it was that was whistling, they were good. Real smooth, no phlegm or dryness in the mouth. And it wasn't a boastfully loud whistling, more like "I'm hanging by the cart while my wife finishes pulling stuff from the shelves" type whistling. The type that old men do when they're casually walking from this point to that, because they're retired and don't have to do shit today. The kind of whistling that someone does without thinking about what they're doing. Then it hit me. The person was whistling Ennio Morricone's "For A Few Dollars More". Ho-ly shit. Stuff like that gets me more excited than any normal person should be. I left my cart and went around to the other aisle. Just as I imagined, a guy leaning on the cart, waiting for his old lady. A Mexican guy, faded plaid shirt, worn jeans, like he'd be back tinkering in the garage as soon a he got home. When he stopped whistling, I told him I loved that song and complimented his whistling.

If you know anything about Ennio Morricone, you'd know that he made his nut in soundtracks for Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns. It was only a small part of his career, but that's why middleweights know him. The real fiends know his other work as well. A big part of the Morricone western soundtracks was the use of voices, often wordless grunts and such, and dead on, in tune and in time, whistling. Allessandro Allessandroni was the name of the whistler Morricone used. That's what he did, and what he was called. The Whistler. Aisle five, yo.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Ennio Morricone - For A Few Dollars More mp3 at Blondin
Ennio Morricone - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly mp3
at Tumblr
Ennio Morricone - A Fistful of Dollars mp3
at Gyuermekeknek (?)
Ennio Morricone - The Ecstasy of Gold mp3
at Tumblr
Visit:
Ennio Morricone, Oscar-winning Italian film composer, dies aged 91 at Guardian 

2 comments:

espen E said...

This just in: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/06/ennio-morricone-dies-aged-91-film-composer-good-bad-ugly

e

Tom G. said...

Thanks for the heads up E. I saw that earlier today and made a mental note that was completely erased by the time I got home. Your comment reminded me so thanks for that! Hope all is well in the Trump-free part of the world!