Thursday, July 2, 2020

I'M SORRY MS JACKSON

You'll have to forgive me for subjecting you to this one. I'll assume that most of the nuts that hang around here are familiar with Wanda Jackson. Right up there with her biggest songs is "Let's Have A Party". It's a great song that should rate high for anyone into old school rockabilly. That isn't what you'll have to forgive me for. You should eat up every last note of that song, her version in particular. Now, here's the tough part. Try forgiving me for plopping down this short cover by a German outfit that goes by the name of Psychotic Tanks (or went, the song was recorded in 1980). Theirs is quite possibly one of the worst cover versions of any song that I've heard in my life, and believe me I've heard a shitload of dubious covers. This one takes the cake. I'm not sure what kind of party they're singing about, but it sure sounds like a downer. I'm not going to bag on every last note. Listen to it and let me know if there is anything redeeming in it. Okay, they reinvented the song, but that's like reinventing the wheel and making it square.  To be more accurate, a square wheel and you're trying to roll it uphill in deep mud. Choosing this song to cover is not even clever. I don't mind the abrasiveness of it, but, shit, why this song. Where the fuck is Blixa when you need him?

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Wanda Jackson - Let's Have a Party mp3 at Rockabilly Hall
Psychotic Tanks - Let's Have a Party mp3 at Margauxville

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're not kidding. That is BAD. No humor, no fun, and definitely no redeeming features. I tend to feel that there's no point to doing a cover version unless you can bring something new to it, but "new" doesn't necessarily mean "good".

Marc

Tom G. said...

You're right on all counts Marc. If there's nothing redeeming, there's just cheeky irony. And maybe five Psychotic Tank fans going "Way to stick it to Wanda Jackson!"

Anonymous said...

I can actually appreciate the cheeky irony of, say, the Flying Lizards doing Money, because at least that sounds like they were having fun doing it. Not this, though.

Marc

Tom G. said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was thinking Rob Zombie doing "Boogie Man"