Sunday, July 26, 2020

THIS IS NOT PETER COOK.

Bedazzled happened to be on TV tonight, the original with Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and, in a small role, Raquel Welch. When I first saw the film it was all about Raquel Welch. She became my first adolescent fantasy lady. I will not go further.

Besides the scenes with Welch, there was one scene I'd forgotten about. Without giving you the context (that would ruin the continuity of the plot twists), it's Peter Cook as a pop star singing the title song on a TV show. The background music is light psyche and the lyrics are pure negativity. Like a list of the Monk's song titles: "I don't care, so you said, I don't want you, I don't need you, I don't love you, leave me alone, I'm self contained, just go away." Thanks a lot Mr. Happy.


Here's a handful of other related stuff, including covers of the song, one by Bongwater and the other by the Dudley Moore Trio, a jazz thing that's really good. There's another song by Moore and Cook "The L.S. Bumble Bee", a parody of the Beatles' and Beach Boys' veiled drug references. Apparently it was convincing enough that some bootleggers released it as a rare Beatles outtake. Who the hell knows with people?

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Peter Cook - Bedazzled mp3
at Dinosaur Gardens
Bongwater - Bedazzled mp3
at Dinosaur Gardens
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore- The LS Bumble Bee
at 365 Days Project
Dudley Moore - Strip Club mp3
at Dinosaur Gardens
Video:
Dudley Moore Trio - Bedazzled
at YouTube

No comments: