Saturday, July 25, 2020

RATTY ASS DENIM ROCK

Man, last night was a cornucopia of diversions. It started out with a tip from the Mystery Suggester to check Shindig! magazine's The Hot 100- The Soundtrack of Our Evolution a playlist at YouTube featuring "deep, deep cuts" all released on 45s and featured at one point or another in the first 100 issues of the magazine. Now, I've never bought the magazine as I am a tightwad, and as a British mag it's pricey here in the states. I have, however, leafed through several at length at the newsstand and it seems like a good mag. Good enough to produce a thoroughly listenable playlist of stuff I've never heard before. Good enough for me.

I left a comment for the Mystery Suggester and she responded that she had detoured the list and was now on a "Budgie rampage". What a great way to say that you're binging on a particular band. I realized that I'd somehow never posted any Budgie. The MS probably did not know that, but she probably did know that I'd take the bait. (When the first three songs a rather slipshod search turned up were titled "Guts", "Homicidal Suicidal" and "Hammer and Tongs", it's hard not to.) And another reason I love the Mystery Suggester: She gets it. Name a genre and she's got a favorite, or several. It had me longing for the days when she lived in my apartment complex and we could hang out all the time.

One thing we'd do was drink and watch Rock 'n' Roll Jeopardy. If you've never heard of that game show, it aired in the U.S. from 1998 to 2001 and was a rock 'n' roll trivia version of Jeopardy. It was great fun, particularly when they'd have some unlikely famous musician as a contestant who made mincemeat out of his/her unlikely famous musician opponents (i.e. Mark McGrath made mincemeat out of Graham Nash and Joe Walsh, both of whom knew little beyond their 1970's hayday). Most of the time is was non-celebrities that seemed to carry themselves like they thought they'd slay their opponents, One thing I remember fondly about those nights was coming up with imagined background info on the contestants based on their look, their swagger and, in some cases, the look that you get when you're clearly out of your league. There's a few episodes on YouTube so go grab a friend and a twelver and live it up.

So, from Shindig's list to Budgie to Rock 'n' Roll Jeopardy. That's why I ditched yesterday. Still working on all three, so maƱana.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Hot 100 - The Soundtrack Of Our Evolution at YouTube 100 song playlist by Shindig!
Budgie - Guts mp3
at Jalene 40 (?)
Budgie - Homicidal Suicidal mp3
at Tumblr
Budgie - Hammer and Tongs mp3
at Tumblr
Visit:
Rock 'n' Roll Jeopardy episodes
at YouTube

No comments: