Sunday, September 23, 2018

"COOL RULER" FOR A REASON

It doesn't happen that often, hearing music, music that I like enough to own, in a public setting. Not a club, a record store or a friend's house, but just going about my business somewhere. That's the reason, as my recent posts about Sister Nancy and Althea and Donna attest, that I wig out. And it's happened again. I was making a regular stop in the corner market picking up a bottled water on my way to the beach. The market, curiously called Newport Farms despite the fact that they carry no produce whatsoever, has been a regular stop for years. It's owned and staffed by guys from the Middle East, I forget the actual country, Iraq or Iran I think. They sell alcohol, sodas, snacks and smokes. Not even a proper corner market really, unless having packaged snacks and toilet paper make you a corner market. So I walk in and there's Gregory Isaacs blaring away. This was a real life, honest to goodness, what-the-fuck moment. So I ask whose playlist it is, expecting it to be the younger guy behind the counter. Lo and fucking behold, the selector was the older guy, someone who I've seen, talked with, and bought crap food and water from for years. The dude is probably in his forties or fifties, from the Middle East and not at all what one would expect a person cognizant of Gregory Isaacs to look like. What is going on here? I didn't want to ask any questions. When any possible scenario would be pleasantly unlikely, I'd rather walk away imagining the least likely. Count my winnings. But it was a comforting few minutes, like we shared something. a thread of a wavelength, even if only an appreciation of one of the smoothest singers in the history of reggae. Isaacs was the shit.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Gregory Isaacs - Poor and Clean mp3 at Kazo's Wailers Discography
Gregory Isaacs - Let's Dance  mp3
at Kazo's Wailers Discography
Dirty Harry and The All Stars - [Let's Dance] Version mp3
at Kazo's Wailers Discography
Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse mp3
at Earmilk

No comments: