Saturday, August 18, 2018

THE LADY KEEPS POPPING UP

It's been three years since I mentioned a chance encounter with Sister Nancy's "Bam Bam" blasting out a car on my way home from the beach. It was strange because the song dates back to 1993, and it's rare to find anyone in these parts that even knows who she is. Since then I've heard it four times in different parts of the neighborhood. I've obviously missed something. Was it in movie lately? Is there popular song that samples it? A remix?

I do seem to remember that the younger surf crowd around here, the Sightly Stoopid guys and their mob, thought Yellowman was all the rage in recent years. Not a big jump from Yellowman to Sister Nancy. So, is that the deal? Today I was walking past the Noodle House, a, er, noodle house that's pretty buch a bar with noodles. Owned by the sons of the couple who own the donut shop up the street. The sons went to school with the same younger surf crowd (now that I think about it, they're not really young. Younger than me.) Out of the Noodle House comes "Bam Bam". I was with my niece who is also part of that vague crowd, and knows the Noodle House bros. I mentioned that it was an obscure choice, and then she started singing along to it. She knew the song. Now I'm perplexed. I asked her where she knew the song from and she said she's just heard it a bunch.


I went to Wikipedia and saw this: "Beginning in 1991 with Main Source 'Bam Bam' has been sampled in 73 songs". Okay, then this: "most recently Kanye West’s 2016 hit 'Famous'." Aw, fuck me. That asshole?

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sister Nancy - Bam Bam mp3
at Tumblr (?)
Sister Nancy - Roof Over Mi Head mp3
at Fat Berri's
Sister Nancy- Ain't No Stoppin' Nancy mp3 at ATumblr (?)
Video:
Sister Nancy- Bam Bam (live) at YouTube A smoke and a beer while on the mic says something
The History Of Sister Nancy’s “Bam Bam”
at YouTube Sound bites of sampling songs near the end.

No comments: