Monday, August 20, 2018

SERIOUSLY. LADIES OF SUMMER. EVERY YEAR.

I can't believe this just happened. Just the other day when I heard Sister Nancy's "Bam Bam" and was thinking back about how I'd heard it a few years ago blasting from a passing cars stereo, I was thinking, "Man, wouldn't that be something if I heard 'Uptown Top Ranking' blasting from from a car radio?" I almost mentioned that in the post two days ago but thought that the day rightfully belonged to Sister Nancy. Well guess what? Today I heard "Uptown Top Ranking" coming out of a car window. First time ever I've heard it in public space. I think the only time I've even heard it in a club is when me or a friend was DJing and that was years ago. So being excitable with these sorts of events, I flipped, and yelled "Yeah! Althea and Donna!" and the driver gave me a knowing smile. It's just crazy, the song is from 1977 and is the woman driving the car looked to be in her late twenties. It did not compute. What's really crazy is that, not only was I on my way home from the beach like I had been when I heard "Bam Bam", but the car that was playing "Uptown Top Ranking" was pulling out from the same parking lot driveway that the "Bam Bam" car was. Pier parking lot, Ocean Beach, 92107, yo. If I hear Rita Marley's "One Draw" in that same spot I'll probably shit my pants.

Looking for "One Draw" I just ran across a live thing from 2010. Rita Marley introduces her sisters who, if I heard correctly, grew up in Sweden. The show was at the Paradiso in Amsterdam. Shit, that place was happening when I was there back in the eighties. A converted church if I remember correctly. I saw a Gregory Corso reading followed by a set from Nico. In Amsterdam? Hell yeah I had one draw. More than one.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Althea and Donna - Uptown Top Ranking mp3 at ATumblr (?)
Rita Marley - One Draw (streaming)
at YouTube Ext 12" version
Scout Niblett - Uptown Top Ranking mp3
at SCJAG (?) Inna Cat Power stylee (lethargic)
Video:
Althea and Donna - Uptown Top Ranking (TV)
at YouTube
Rita Marley - One Draw (Live, Paradiso 2010)
at YouTube

No comments: