Sunday, August 19, 2018

NOT MICK JAGGER

Late to the party, per usual. A friend of mine, Cat if I remember correctly, used to rave about Blaze Foley. Townes Van Zant and Jimmy Dale Gilmore too I think. I don't know, I could have it all fucked up. Regardless, someone told me years ago to listen to Blaze Foley. I put it on the When I Get to Friends Recommendations part of the list. Which, if I ever get to it, I cherry pick. Country and Western and/or Americana type stuff never gets a fair shake. It's lyrics music. Not butt shakin', no mind blowing solos, deep bass, fuzz, wah wah. Just simple, heartfelt. I never get around to that type of stuff. Yeah, I know, my loss.

Prior to today I'd heard one Blaze Foley song. Today I listened to Blaze Foley for the second time. What prompted me was a profile in Mojo. Foley sounded like my kind of people. A guy trying to make a living playing music without playing the game. Homeless at times, partied too much, recordings lost or destroyed. Every fucked thing you can imagine. But the dude wrote good songs, or so I'm told. Gimme a break, I've heard like ten songs.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Blaze Foley - Clay Pigeons mp3 at When You Awake (?)
Blaze Foley - If I Could Only Fly (live) mp3
at ATumblr (?)
Blaze Foley - If I Could Only Fly (studio)
(streaming) at YouTube

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For years the only thing I knew about Blaze Foley was that Lucinda Williams' song Drunken Angel was about him. I finally heard Clay Pigeons not long ago, I think on SiriusXM Outlaw Country. It's not bad at all - thanks for posting it. And I'll second your friend's recommendation of Townes Van Zandt, who was truly a great songwriter. As for Jimmie Dale Gilmore, I know you like the Blasters, so I'll just say that Jimmie Dale and Dave Alvin just put out an album together. But I don't know how many of the songs are their originals.

Marc

Tom G. said...

Thanks for chiming in Marc. One thing I've found (so far) about Foley's writing is that once I start listening to the words of the song I'm totally sucked in. I cannot pause it, turn it off or stop listening. Clay Pigeons is the one.