Tuesday, August 7, 2018

OH YES IT'S LADIES NIGHT

Seriously, that photo above is so totally badass. It's the Liverbirds, who have been here before. But this week I started obsessing about the vocal delivery of Valerie Gell on their cover of "Peanut Butter". I'd compare it to a cartoon of a sneer but she really does sound tough enough to interpret it as a bona fide I don't give a fuck. Check them live (link also below).


That wasn't the only cover I was obsessing about this week. I'm reading Viv Albertine's first book, she was in the Slits,  and was reminded what a young band they were when they recorded "I Heard It Through the Grapevine". One thing I didn't realize is that it was their first record. Wow. Ari Up was, what, fifteen? That's a pretty inventive interpretation despite their lack of experience. Oh yeah, the released version was a first take.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Liverbirds - Peanut Butter mp3 at Internet Archive
The Slits - I Heard It Through the Grapevine mp3
at ATumblr (?)
Video:
The Liverbirds - Peanut Butter (live)
at YouTube
The Slts - I Heard It Through the Grapevine (live)
at YouTube

No comments: