Friday, August 10, 2018

CHILL TO THIS FUCKER

You may or may not being indulging me. Maybe I'm not the only one who loves this song. I think it might be because I went a good twenty years without hearing it before I got it again a few years ago. It initially came to me when I was about eighteen via an older beach friend, who surfed, played bass and got laid. (I surfed, rather shoddily, I was just starting to mess with bass, and had never been laid.) It was summer when I first heard it. It was early evening after the beach chill (without the connotations) music, after surf stuff, with Russell's drawl, tasty slide, sounds of the ocean, and bird noises, àla Martin Denny, who I was just discovering courtesy of thrift store roulette. This is very specific sub-sub-genre. 

It works as atmospheric music, stoner music, three beer buzz music, getting frisky music, navel contemplating music, you just can't rock out to it.. It's a beautiful song. I really dig the backing vocals so went looking for who it was (Mary McCreary, Russell's future wife). Then I looked at who else was on it. Steve Cropper (on that tasty slide, Cropper, go figure), Duck Dunn and Al Jackson. In other words, the MGs of Booker T and the MGs.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Leon Russell - Back to the Island mp3 at Internet Archive

No comments: