Wednesday, September 12, 2018

WHO MADE YOU BOSS, SINGER?

I was listening to stuff from the Nuggets II boxed set and it hit me that it was about 1965-66 that guitar playing really started to change. Prior to that time, guitar playing was tasty, expert, precision and at times, primitive. But not much was aggressive, chest-beating, over-indulgent or even dangerous sounding, not en masse anyway. You had your odd Link Wray, your Paul Burlison/Grady Martin, Dick Dale or what have you, you know, ego driven maybe but not hairy. But somewhere around '64 or '65, someone pushed the Davie Allan button and fuzz and distortion spread like an infection. Guitar players started to value the whole badass thing, If your phallic instrument of choice is a guitar rather than a dainty lil microphone, it would stand to reason that your stand-in balls are bigger as well. "Give me a section in the middle of a song so I can wack off. And at least one really long song so I can have an overly long session that bores even me." You can point out any number of guitarists of note that defy my theory. There were bands that were completely wild before the mid-sxties, I know that. But it wasn't until the mid-sixties that bands like the La De Das (seen above) and the Voice got the memo.Thousands of bands like them too. Disciples of fuzz.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The La De Das - How Is the Air Up There? mp3 at Internet Archive
The Voice - The Train to Disaster mp3
at Internet Archive

No comments: