Sunday, September 2, 2018

THE PACKAGE

I went on a mini-Barbara Lynn tear. Her name popped up somewhere and the next day I was doing a search for Barbara Franklin, and Lynn showed up again. I got to thinking about how entirely badass she was. She co-wrote "You'll Lose a Good Thing" with Huey Meaux (great producer but deeply flawed human being), and it was recorded at Cosimo Matassa's. That's the shit right there. It went to #1 on the r&b charts was a top ten Billboard Hot 100 hit in 1962. Not bad for a beginning. She played lead guitar, a rarity among female singers at the time, and wrote or co-wrote ten of the songs on her first LP. And she looked cool doing it.


This was a mini-tear because I re-visited an clip of Lynn from the television show The !!! Beat, that aired in 1966. She's doing "What I'd Say" and shares guitar duties with a young Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, then guitarist with the shows house band (link below). After that I just let the rest of the episode roll. And then another episode.  And another.

The !!! Beat was a syndicated TV show that would feature big names and regional names. All twenty six episodes aired in 1966, and a whole bunch of them are on YouTube. It's hard to resist binge watching them. I don't know about you but I get tired of screens. Bookmark them.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:

No comments: