Wednesday, September 26, 2018

FACT: IT WON'T KILL YOU TO SMILE

Holly Cook is playing for free this weekend, at a street fair a few miles from here. Playing the day before: the Schitzophonics, Deke Dickerson, the Loons. Definitely worth seeing too. Weighing my options. Who else is playing on Sunday? Do I need to look? I mean, I like Holly Cook. Good, clean, modern reggae fun. Her records are a little too clean for me, production-wise, but maybe she's a little grittier live. Okay, so who else is playing? Oh, shit, it's the Sure Fire Soul Ensemble! A local outfit I'd completely forgotten about! I don't even remember where I've heard them but it's been a while. From their Bandcamp page: "They draw influence from the masters of the style from the past and modern day, including: Quincy Jones, Jimmy McGriff, Mulatu Astatke, Isaac Hayes, and The Poets of Rhythm." Shit, why go any further?

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Holly Cook - Remember (Walking In the Sand) mp3 at 13th Floor Office
Holly Cook - You Know I'm No Good mp3
at ATumblr (?)
The Sure Fire Soul Ensemble - Out On The Coast (Full LP)
(streaming) at YouTube

No comments: