Saturday, December 16, 2023

CAN 2,218 COPIES BE A CASH-IN?

I gotta say, unless there's a good reason, Christmas records ought to be limited to 45s. A full album of Christmas tunes just seems too much like a cash-in. And if the Christmas songs are limited to a 45, all the better if they're original songs. I mean, c'mon, if we're even going to hope for new Christmas classics, there's going to have to be new material, and a steady supply because most aren't going to make the cut. While some might cite the Waitresses' "Christmas Wrapping" or Run DMC's "Christmas In Hollis" as modern Christmas classics, even those are a bit worn. I've got my own not-yet-worn playlist, and it includes Jon Spencer's 1992 Subpop Singles Club 45 (limited to 2,218 copies), "Big Yule Log Boogie" b/w "My Christmas Wish". Hell yeah.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Jon Spencer - Big Yule Log Boogie mp3 at I Am Fuel You Are Friends
Jon Spencer - My Christmas Wish mp3 at I Am Fuel You Are Friends

2 comments:

EG-Markus said...

I can't stand Christmas music. And I am a Christian, no less. The ONLY good X-mas song I can think of Is 'Blue Christmas' by Elvis or the instrumental version by Gary Hoey.

I was in the grocery store earlier this week and in the space of 30 minutes I heard 3 different versions of 'Winter Wonderland'. I kept complaining to my wife, 'For God's sake, why can't they play something else?' So they did. Next thing I know I'm hearing Elton John and 'Benny and the Jets', perhaps one of the biggest pieces of crap ever committed to vinyl.

Which only goes to show, no matter how bad you may think it is, it can always get worse.

Tom G. said...

I'll see that and up it. I hate "Blue Christmas" and that whole LP of Elvis doing Christmas songs. Years ago I was working at a hardware store and they played that incessantly, all day long as it got closer to Christmas. One day, I'd had enough so I yanked the 8 track tape (that should tell you how long ago it was) and risked life, limb, and my job, picked up a sledge hammer and unceremoniously smashed the fuck out of it. Done.