Tuesday, December 5, 2023

THE GODMOTHER (SLIGHT RETURN)


Man, it's kind of disheartening how many younger kids can't name a single Rolling Stone or even one of the Beatles, let alone knowing who Muddy Waters or Chuck Berry were. Even with the internet at their disposal, they seem to lack the interest in looking backward to find their favorite musicians early influences. That kills me. I had to wait for the internet to arrive to find out who Sister Rosetta Tharpe was. If you don't know who she is, she's one of the few musicians that Chuck Berry had cited as a guitar influence. Before the internet I had no clue who she was. That occurred to me yesterday as I happened to run across a sidebar link to a Sister Rosetta Tharpe documentary. I checked, I'd posted it nine years ago, but the link to it no longer functioned. It was about time for a refresher anyway. So here it is again, along with a few songs. I also ran across a compilation clip of her guitar solos from various films and live clips. As you'll see, she really was a link between gospel and rock 'n' roll. Consider her essential. If you don't know who any of the Rolling Stones are, go back to square one.


~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sister Rosetta Tharpe -  Didn't It Rain mp3 at Keep the Coffee Coming
Sister Rosetta Tharpe -  Up Above My Head mp3 at More Things
Sister Rosetta Tharpe -  Strange Things Happen Every Day mp3 at More Things
Sister Rosetta Tharpe -  Rock Daniel mp3 at Internet Archive
Watch:
Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Guitar Solos in Motion Pictures
at YouTube

No comments: