Sunday, December 31, 2023

DOWN THERE AT THE END OF THE ALLEY


I wasn't looking for this because I didn't know it existed. It's a live set from the Gories from 1989, three years after they formed. What you'll notice is a, eh, somewhat sloppy performance. If you're worried about that, can't get past it, then you're probably not Gories material. It's raw, but not in a Stooges sort of way. To be honest, it sounds like they could use meatier amps. Had I never heard the Gories or Mick Collins's next band, the Dirtbombs, and the video was my first exposure, I'd probably dismiss them altogether. That is, until late in the set when they cover the Velvet Undergound's "Guess I'm Falling In Love". It's not an earth shattering cover but they do it as an instrumental. For me, that's key, because the Velvets' instrumental version is one of my all-time favorite songs.


I'm not exactly making the case for the Gories, but they're that kind of band. You're either in the sonically malnourished garage or the fancy one. I jam econo. There's a couple songs below along with a link to another live set from a 2005 reunion.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Gories - Rat's Nest mp3
at Gramotunes
The Gories - The Chick Inn mp3
at Monkey (Total Hasil Adkins thing going on here)
Video:
The Gories at Burger Boogaloo 2015 (full set)
at YouTube

No comments: