Sunday, May 24, 2020

LOCK DOWN THEATER NIGHT 15

Two years before Woodstock, in July of 1967, there was the Monterey International Pop Festival. It featured Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, the Mamas and Papas, Jefferson Airplane, Eric Burdon and the Animals, Booker T and the MGs,the Byrds, Country Joe and the Fish and a mess of others (see the Wikipedia page for the complete set lists). I ran into a YouTube link titled "1967 Music Festival Video Concert" with the poster for the festival used in the thumbnail. The video title may have been deliberately vague so the video wouldn't be taken down, as it appears to have a big part of the film. It's been years since I've seen the entire film, and I haven't sat through the entire video yet, but it's two hours and nearly all the footage I did watch (jumping from place to place for about an hour) was from the film, and worth watching. Before viewing any of the video, I tried to remember the performances that were particularly good. The Who, Hendrix, Otis Redding, and Janis Joplin were all really good, but I had a hard time thinking of who else was in it. It's been years since I've seen the entire film, and even if some of this two hour video is from other sources I don't care. I'm going to watch the whole thing regardless. Besides the four acts above and a good deal of others, the big reason is because the video dealt me one big fat surprise.  A band I'd always thought of as just an over-produced pop vocal group were actually a well-tuned live act. The Association's "Along Comes Mary" on record is just them singing backed by studio musicians. It was the only version I'd ever heard. To see them do it live makes me sorry I dismissed them a thousand years ago. The vid directly below is the festival movie. There's a link to the Association segment below.



~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Watch/Listen:
The Association - Along Comes Mary (live) at YouTube Segment from the film
Along Comes Mary - Backing track
(streaming) at YouTube
Visit:
Monterey International Pop Festival line up/set list
at Wikipedia For the whole festival, not the film.
Monterey International Pop Festival - Official site

No comments: