Friday, May 22, 2020

ALL-TIME EPIC COVERS NIGHT

The other day I was listening to a jazz compilation and John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" came on. The very next day the jazz station played it. I was reminded how I felt the first time I'd heard it in it's entirety. It was a few years ago. I'd heard it before, but skipped passed it after hearing the beginning of what sounded like it was going to be a straight forward cover of the song from the film The Sound of Music. I should have known. Then there was the one time that I just let in roll. After thirteen minutes, I pried my jaw off the floor.

The song is a monster. One of my favorite covers of all time. I've posted it before, and I'm not really sure why I even bother mentioning that. If I've heard it a bunch of times, and twice in the past few days, and I still feel like hearing it, you can use the refresher. If you haven't heard it, I suggest you listen to it all the way through, loud, with headphones, spliff optional. Sonny Rollin's equally tweaked cover of "I'm an Old Cow Hand (From the Rio Grande)" is down there too, because it too takes the original to another dimension.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things mp3 at LBCC (?)
Sonny Rollins - I'm an Old Cow Hand (From the Rio Grande) mp3 at Time Goes By.

No comments: