Friday, May 15, 2020

TWENTY EIGHT MINUTES OF THIS GUY

Among other things I like about Fela is his knack for lengthy jams, much closer in spirit to long songs by James Brown then any of those guitar oriented diddly-diddly things. While the playing is good, it's the groove that matters. Less "look at me" than "let's get down". I swung by Soul Safari tonight and in tribute on the occasion of Tony Allen's death there were a couple Fela cuts, two that I don't think I've posted before. That's good enough, particularly with the stay at home orders which provide the perfect opportunity to dance like nobody's watching. You ought to check out his posts too, one with an account of seeing Fela live back in 1983.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Fela Kuti - Yellow Fever mp3 at Soul Safari 1976
Fela Kuti and Africa 70 Organization - Colonial Mentality mp3
at Soul Safari 1977

No comments: