Wednesday, May 13, 2020

IT'S FU MANCHU MANIA OVER HERE.

Just as I was parking my car tonight a song came on my CD player from a long forgotten reggae compilation. I was listening to it, thinking "Maybe I should post some reggae tonight". I had second thoughts, "Oh jeez, what a segue, from Fu Manchu (yesterday) to reggae". Then I looked at the title. It was a song by Desmond Dekker, the song was "Fu Man Chu". It doesn't take much for me to select something to post. A little coincidence like that is all I needed to seal the deal, so there you go. You get Desmond Dekker courtesy of the loosest of affiliations.


Dekker had a bona fide top ten hit in the U.S. with "Israelites" in 1968. That's nothing short of mindblowing when you consider that reggae was a totally unfamiliar music in the U.S. at the time. The film The Harder They Come was still a few years away and Bob Marley wouldn't be widely known in the states for another five years or so, and even then he never had a top ten hit here. Dig it.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Desmond Dekker - Fu Man Chu mp3 at Le Mellotron
Desmond Dekker - Pickney Girl mp3
at Cubik Music
Desmond Dekker - Pretty Africa mp3
at Dinosaur Gardens
Desmond Dekker - Jeserene mp3
at Oh Hey Great
Desmond Dekker - Wise Man mp3
at So Well Remembered
Desmond Dekker - 007 mp3
at Tumblr
Desmond Dekker - Problems mp3
at Tumblr

No comments: