Sunday, December 22, 2019

ON THE SIXTH DAY OF SLACKFEST

Oh, just holy shit. I'd heard this song a handful of times last December but I obviously wasn't really listening. Or maybe it's just my mood tonight. Regardless, Nathaniel Mayer and his Fabulous Twilights' "Mr. Santa Claus (Bring Me My Baby)" hits the spot. Big time. And it's not all his doing, though his voice is a large part of it. It's his larynx. He leaves it on the floor. He seems to get more raw as the song goes on, to the point that you find yourself thinking about how Merry Clayton's voice cracks on backing vocals of the Stones "Gimme Shelter". Once you're into the song that far you start noticing the other elements, the guitar tone, the beating the drums get, and the decidedly "one and done" sound of the studio. It really does sound like it was recorded in a garage.

The other three down there are from the same post at Black Squirrel Amusements and are every bit as good, though for different reasons. There's plenty more over at the post, but I'm four for four. I'm taking my winnings and going to dinner.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Nathaniel Mayer and his Fabulous Twilights - Mr. Santa Claus (Bring Me My Baby) mp3 at Black Squirrel Amusements 1962
Detroit Junior - Christmas Day mp3
at Black Squirrel Amusements 1960
James Brown - Signs of Christmas mp3
at Black Squirrel Amusements 1966
Mr. President - It's Christmas Time mp3
at Black Squirrel Amusements 2011