Monday, June 10, 2019

IT'S MUDDY WATERS TO SOMEBODY

Mourning the change of a band is a funny thing, particularly if their sound, while not unique, is different enough that you're hard pressed to find a replacement once they start changing. When they do, you go back to their source, the music that they're drawing inspiration from. I'm talking about the Budos Band. After their first few LPs their music didn't, to me, seem to have the same feel. So, the bandaid that I put on the broken leg was going back to Fela's stuff. Not Antibalas or any other logical choice. Nope, I went to the good ol' Lagos safe harbor. Really, you can't go wrong with Fela. He's got so much stuff that I haven't come close to hearing everything. But it is surprising, given how many people like Fela's music, how few bands play that type of music, Afrobeat or Afro-funk, whatever you want to call it. A few days ago I ordered the Shaolin Afronauts, an outfit from Australia. That sucker arrives tomorrow. So I'm prepping myself with Antibalas, and the Mexico 68 Afrobeat Orchestra, both post 2K bands, neither from Africa. What the hell, the Stones weren't from Chicago and that didn't stop anyone.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Antibalas and Jojo Qou - Uprising (Parts 1 And 2) mp3 at ATumblr (?) Their first 45
Mexico 68 Afrobeat Orchestra- Soon Dem Come mp3
at The Melting Pot

No comments: