Monday, June 17, 2019

THIS IS THE OMFUG PART

A few days ago a friend mentioned on Facebook that he had just heard Powersolo (above)  for the first time. I had two thoughts. One is that he hadn't seen the Powersolo post that was here a few years ago. Not surprising since I think most of the people I know forgot long ago that this blog existed. No big deal. The other much more immediate thought was "Hell yeah, I know that feeling!" The moment that you hear a good band for the first time, just out of the blue. That's a thrill and a half.

It reminded me of the first time I heard Reverend Beat Man (below). "Come Back Lord", it was. Shit, that came out around 2000 so it was already about ten years old when I ran across it. But what a piece of work it was, opening a door to Beat Man's Voodoo Rhythm Records, a label with all sorts of noisy miscreants. "Records to ruin any party." There was a thread of roots, twisted as they were, along with garage. You know the drill.



After hearing that again, I thought of another song that I first heard around the same time. I've wanted to post it for years, but hadn't been able to find online. I initially found it as a throwaway download on the site of Flapping Jet Records. "Save Your Tears" by the Weekend Blacks, a short-lived band that I don't think had any official releases. It disappeared from the site shortly after I ran across it but I figured that it might have found it's way to YouTube if nowhere else. I was surprised when I found it along four other songs by them on Flapping Jet's Bandcamp page. Holy shit, the other four songs are good as well, sounding like vintage late seventies punk rock. The good news is that I can now hep you to "Save Your Tears". The bad news is that you will have to pay for it. But, wait, there's more good news. Five solid cuts from these Weekend Blacks for four measly bucks.



~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Powersolo - Baby, You Ain't Looking Right mp3 at ATumblr
Reverend Beat Man - Come Back Lord mp3
at Go Retro
Weekend Blacks - Save Your Tears
(streaming) at Bandcamp Also available as download.
Visit:
Weekend Blacks
at Bandcamp
Flapping Jet Records
at Bandcamp
Voodoo Rhythm Records

No comments: