Friday, June 28, 2019

BANDS YOU SHOULD KNOW #127

Talking music with a friend of mine today, a EDM DJ who knows quite a bit about music, but he's in his mid-twenties so much of what he knows is music from the last couple decades. I asked him if he had heard the Talking Heads. To my surprise he said that he had not even heard of them. My guess is that he's had to have heard them at some point, and just didn't know who it was. But it was kind of alarming. I'm thinking that a if a guy in his mid-twenties who knows a lot about music doesn't know who the Talking Heads are, it was high time to push them in front of other people who may not know them. There are a lot of people in their mid-twenties who don't know much about music that should still know about the Talking Heads. To someone my age, it seems elementary.

If you want the history of the band, look elsewhere. I'm not going to rehash shit that's already out there. In fact, the only real reason I'm posting these is so my friend can check them out. He does know Eno's Music For Airports. He blew me away with that one, and that's why I asked him about the Talking Heads. So I'm just posting a few of the Eno produced Talking Heads cuts so he can get a taste. These are from their third and fourth LPs (Fear of Music and Remain In Light), when they really hit their stride. Eno also produced their second, but it was the two that followed when things started getting real rhythmic and funky. If you've never heard the Talking Heads and don't listen to these, fuck off.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Talking Heads - I Zimbra mp3 at Feel My Bicep
Talking Heads - Life During Wartime
(streaming) at YouTube
Talking Heads - Born Under Punches mp3
at By Way Of (?)
Talking Heads - Crosseyed and Painless mp3
at By Way Of (?)
Talking Heads - Houses In Motion mp3
at Three Happy People

1 comment:

Truly Enlightened said...

I Zimbra Though!!! For anyone else wondering I’m the EDM DJ that has just been educated!! Very happy about it too, Talking heads are great!