Tuesday, June 25, 2019

THE FUCK IT IS. IT'S SPELLED N-E-W Y-O-R-K.

How do you spell New York? A knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork. That's the way you spell New York. Ask anybody who's heard reggae DJ/toaster Dillinger. It's a line from his "Cocaine In My Brain". My friend Javier turned me onto the song over thirty years ago. Crucial. And Javier was from the punk scene. The cool thing about it is that it wasn't unusual back then. Punks listened to reggae. There was only a limited amount of punk records to listen to, and everybody back then had played their Stooges, Dolls, Velvets and MC5 records to exhaustion. Reggae was just another available type of rebel music. And there was so much to get caught up on.

The song wasn't even on my mind, but I was visiting Funky 16 Corners, and after sampling an excellent mix (Loose and Groovy, the second one on this post), I saw the previous post, a song called "A Knife and a Fork" by Kip Anderson. I guarantee you, even today, if Javier saw that song title he'd have something to say about a bottle and a cork. I've posted the Dillinger song before, but the links are now kaput. No choice folks, time to refresh. I found both versions. The first one was recorded at Channel One and is the better of the two. More character. I don't know where the other version was recorded, or when, because I don't really care. If I'm going to listen to Dillinger doing "Cocaine in My Brain", I'm going to listen to the Channel One version.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Dillinger - Cocaine In My Brain mp3 at Cubikmusik Channel One version
Dillinger - Cocaine In My Brain mp3
at San-Andreas (?)

No comments: