Saturday, February 1, 2014

FLACO WINS THIS ROUND

This is how things go around here: I've been trying to find the artist who recorded an unidentified Hawaiian slack key instrumental I have without success. You know how it is, the longer the search goes on, the less you want to give up because it might be down that very next side road. But every road seemed to lead me to Gabby Pahinui, an important slack key guy yes, though I don't think it was him that did the song. Pahinui's stuff seemed more laid back. But it did lead me into some stuff he did with Ry Cooder, which led to some Cooder conjunto type stuff. Though shaken from my temporary slack key obsession, it wasn't hitting the spot. There was only one thing to do, I had to hear me some Flaco Jimenez. The real deal. At this point, it's been a good hour of Flaco mania over here. There's no turning back now.

 
Here's a couple of Flaco proper, one of him with Peter Rowan and the Free Mexican Air Force, and two with the Texas Tornados, the Tex-Mex supergroup consisting of Flaco, Doug Sahm, Freddy Fender and Augie Meyers. Fuckin' A, it's Saturday night. Slack key can wait.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Flaco Jiménez - El Pata Caliente mp3 at Let's Polka
Flaco Jiménez - Laureles mp3 at Let's Polka
The Texas Tornados - Guacamole mp3 at A.Tumblr (?)
The Texas Tornados - Que Paso mp3 at The Rising Storm
Peter Rowan & the Mexican Free Air Force with Flaco Jimenez - Maria Elana (live) mp3 at Gary Faller (?)
Visit:
Flaco Jiménez - Interview at PBS
Flaco Jiménez at Wikipedia

No comments: