Sunday, November 20, 2022

WHEN HALEY WAS HILLBILLY


Last night, from out of nowhere the jazz station played Bill Haley and the Saddlemen's "Rock This Joint" followed by Otis Blackwell's "Daddy Rolling Stone", neither of which would really qualify as jazz. I did not ask questions. I was digging them. Cool too, it was on a regular FM radio station. That would have been a nice surprise had I been out somewhere with my transistor radio with me. I still keep one with me sometimes around the neighborhood, like a walk to the pier or something. Hearing it like that would have been good, had I been on the pier with my transistor radio. It was good enough to know that it was still possible to hear stuff like that on regular airwaves on a fifteen dollar radio with two AA batteries and telescoping antenna. On a radio that you didn't have to subscribe to, doesn't cost anything, does not take your info and cannot track you. You give up a lot for convenience if your phone is you music source. You never would have got around to looking for, let alone listening to, Bill Haley and the Saddlemen or Otis Blackwell on your phone. I don't think the new i-Phones can handle anything that doesn't have Auto-Tune. Fuck, unplug for a minute. Don't give away the game. Rant on.

No comments: