Thursday, November 3, 2022

IS THIS THE SEARS CATALOG AUDITION?


Yeah, I've been watching the World Series and feeling lazy. Last night I went on a Booker T and the MGs binge and it hasn't subsided. Besides being the house band at Stax, their discography as their own band is an aural rabbit hole. Here's a random selection. "Hip Hug Her"'s my jam.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Booker T & the MGs - Hip Hug-Her mp3
at Internet Archive
Booker T & the MGs - Hang 'em High mp3
at Internet Archive
Booker T & the MGs - Soul Limbo mp3
at Internet Archive
Booker T & the MGs - The Exodus Song mp3
at Internet Archive
Booker T & the MGs - Born Under A Bad Sign mp3
at Internet Archive

3 comments:

Ra'chac said...

... thanks tom... dig steve cropper
and not to forget 'the mar~key's 'last night'

Tom G. said...

Oh yeahhh, "Last Night" is an all time favorite! The horns are like power chords. The Bar-Kays' "Soul Finger" is another one that gets the same juices flowin'.
Good to hear from you Gary!

Steve D. said...

Booker T. & the MGs are my musical idols. I said so as far back as 1980 (in a feature in the "Life at Bankers" monthly organ). I have a bunch of their LPs bought cheaply circa 1976-1980.
But let me inform you: If you listen to Pandora, the Booker T. channel plays pretty much all of the cover versions of songs they recorded when Stax learned it did not have any more back catalog (Atlantic took it all away.). A bunch of those instrumental covers are sonically interesting.
Not-quite-P.S.: I have the Steve Cropper solo LP (on Volt) also.