Thursday, November 10, 2022

GAL COSTA, REST IN PEACE


On the way home tonight I heard that Gal Costa died yesterday. I really love her music. Every thing below was posted back in June and it's not about her in particular but there's a few of her songs. Given the circumstances I've no reservations about re-posting it. Plus I'm lazy.

I have a new next door neighbor, a Brazilian. There's a lot of Brazilians in my neighborhood. Let me tell you, they know how to have a good time. Several years ago when there were other Brazilians living in my complex, it was when Brazil won the World Cup. They went absolutely ape shit. I put on some Brazilian music as a soundtrack to the spectacle in the courtyard and they barged in my apartment and were jumping up and down on my couch. That vision had me hearing music in my head the for last 24 hours. Os Mutantes, bossa nova, Gal Costa, the whole damn Gilberto family, all the Brazilian stuff I was familiar with. Then, on the way home from the beach today I walked by a house that had bossa nova playing, floating out the screen door. That settled it. When I got home I went looking for some bossa nova that I didn't have, something new to me. I found it, a great mix, but shit. Turns out the first hour of the mix was bossa nova and the second hour was anything goes including douchebags. It's indelibly tainted, it includes a song by Mike Love, king of all popular music douchebags. I cannot, in good conscience, pass that on. I feel tainted just mentioning his name. So, what the fuck, here's a few Brazilian things

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Gal Costa - Vou Recomecar mp3
at Super Sonido
Gal Costa - Relance mp3
at Super Sonido
Gal Costa - AcauĆ£ mp3
at Super Sonido Wait for the freakout.
Gal Costa - Pontos de Luz mp3
at Super Sonido
Gal Costa & Gilberto Gil - Sebastiania mp3
at Super Sonido Freakout endings seem to be a trend.
Jorge Ben - Mais Que Nada mp3 ('65)
at Guizzz Orleans
Os Mutantes - Dom Quixotet mp3
at Archive.org

4 comments:

Strontiumchin said...

Hey LDDT...

Thanks for all the musical directions... those U Roy tracks espesh.

Also... there's a kooky blogger deep in the heart of Arnhemland in North Australia (Yolngu Country) called Kris Keogh, who is a electric harpist/producer in Nhulunbuy... his blog is all about Bandcamp songs he loves, very esoteric, very groovy. You might wanna check him out.

Todd, Darwin

https://supersupersounds.tumblr.com/

Tom G. said...

Ha! Had that one bookmarked already. That is a great site. Thanks for the reminder.

If you dig U Roy, this site has a few of his known releases (downloads are on Mega.nz, a safe site):

http://kingstonroots.blogspot.com/search/label/U%20Roy

Tom G. said...

Note: I meant "lesser known releases". (Oops!)

Anonymous said...


Lisa Ono.