Monday, November 21, 2022

I AM 18 AND I'M KING OF THE ALLEY


Remember the kids that I mentioned a few days ago on the Black Sabbath post? They reminded me of a few Flamin' Groovies things I've been meaning to post, "Teenage Head" in particular. If you're not familiar with the song, it's not about fellatio (blow jobs for you illiterates). The opening lyrics: "I'm a monster, got a revved up teenage head. Teenage monster, California born and bred. Half a boy and half a man, I'm half at sea and half on land, oh my. Bye, bye." Never mind the fact that the singer was no longer a teenager, this is an JD anthem for the ages, particularly if you are California born and bred. In the presence of the these two kids, who party, ride skateboards, chase skirts and, if they're drunk enough, fight each other, I was reminded of that first verse of "Teenage Head" which in turn reminded me of an interesting LP that has the 1986 version of the Groovies recorded live in a studio in Australia. It's one of the few places you're going to hear the same version of the Groovies play both "Teenage Head" from their earlier 1971 incarnation (often described as an American version of the Stones) and "Shake Some Action", from the later 1976 incarnation (sounding more like the Beatles) in a studio setting.. Of course the later recording is from a decade later but that's kind of why I like it. It's a tad grittier both in performance and in the mix. Cyril Jordan sounds like Paul Westerberg on "Shake Some Action", a little worn having been recorded at the end of an Australian tour. I'm digging both of these later versions because I've heard the originals so many times they've lost a little of their punch.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Flamin' Groovies - Teenage Head (1971) mp3
at Internet Archive
Flamin' Groovies - Teenage Head (1986) mp3
at Internet Archive
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action (1976) mp3
at Margauxville
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action (1986) mp3
at Internet Archive

No comments: