Wednesday, November 16, 2022

FU-HUCK. THAT GUITAR TONE.


True confessions: I've never owned a Black Sabbath LP. When I was growing up, my brother had Black Sabbath Vol. 4. Besides that and the occasional playing of Sabbath on FM radio and at keg parties and such, I figured that if I really did want to hunker down and listen to a bunch of Sabbath, they were popular enough that their records would never go out of print. That's pretty much true, their music has never been all that hard to find. But their heyday was long ago, in the early seventies.

The other night I was out in the alley and a guy on a skateboard at the end of the alley was blasting "War Pigs". I could only see his silhouette until he got closer. I recognized him when the light hit on him. He was the friend of the kid that lives in the apartment in back. Both are eighteen years old, at the prime beer drinking, pot smoking, skirt chasing age. They do all three. They also get into all sorts of mischief and fuck ups. They crack me up. A few months ago they had a bullhorn and were walking around the neighborhood saying ridiculous things with a total deadpan delivery over the bullhorn. Imagine walking down the street and hearing, from a half block away someone you couldn't even see, say over a bullhorn "I just shit myself". I happened to hear it from my kitchen window and almost shit myself laughing. When these kids aren't getting fucked and up falling off their skateboards, they're beating each other up (a few weeks ago, a black eye, bloody noses and a trip to the ER for the instigator, all among friends). They're goofy in a good way. They always spill their guts to me because I'm simpatico. I would have made a terrible parent. Anyway, this kid, eighteen years old, was blasting music that was over fifty years old. That's the thing that got me. Would I have been listening to music that was fifty years old when I was eighteen?  Hell no. That's how bad current music is. Here's three fifty year old classics, all from Sabbath's second LP.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Black Sabbath - War Pigs mp3
at Internet Archive
Black Sabbath - Paranoid mp3
at Internet Archive
Black Sabbath - Iron Man mp3
at Internet Archive

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, modern music sucks. I work close to SJSU, where I graduated in the eighties. I walk to the bookstore sometimes to see if they got anything on sale and they are still playing the same music forty years later.