Monday, October 24, 2022

SUBJECTIVE ROCK


A couple days ago I mentioned the egret incident. I didn't mention that the two guys that I accosted to point out a damn bird had, in the course of our short conversation, asked who I thought was the best punk band from back in the day (to me that would be roughly 1977-79). My first reaction was that there were so many that were really good that it was hard to narrow it down. I started thinking about all the different scenes that I was familiar with back then, London, New York, San Francisco, L.A. and here, in San Diego. Going through a mental inventory of bands, records, and shows, without regard for location or how well known any were, in a matter of seconds isn't easy. After some quick deliberation, I answered that the Dils were the band that I thought were the best representation of that era of punk rock. That's taking into account the above mentioned criteria, records (only three official 45s), shows (many, many shows, primarily on the West coast of the U.S.) and without any apparent regard to what other bands were doing, or what a label wanted. An oft quoted line from one of them (I think it was Tony Kinman) is "We do as we please.". Amen. That says it.


Because they had so little recorded output, I feel it necessary to mention what I consider their best period. Their second 45, "Class War"/"Mr. Big" was the first overtly political U.S punk record I remember hearing (key word: overtly, there were others I'm sure). Sometime between that one, late '77, and their last record, a three song EP in 1980, they became their own band with their own sound. They were the first band that I remember making ticket prices an issue. I don't remember if it was hard and fast, but they wouldn't play a show that charged more than something like five dollars. And though I'd occasionally see them (Chip and Tony Kinman) at shows, they didn't really seem like there was any attempt to "make the scene". Live, they were exceptionally tight. The video above from a 1980 show, low quality as it is, gives you a decent idea. (That low of resolution was about the norm for that era.) I'm getting too long winded here, I'm cuttin' out.. Anyway, two guys from the pier, these are for you. Oh yeah, Killed By Death is back online!.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

No comments: