Saturday, October 22, 2022

SNOWY EGRET TO PUNK ROCK IN ONE MINUTE


I was the pier today, being an old fart. I'd just spotted a snowy egret in the tide pools. I'd never seen one in tide pools before, or even close and I've lived near them for almost my entire life. This is where the old fart comes in. I just had to point it out to someone. Which I did. The first two people that walked by, they were from Seattle, here to see a couple pop punk bands. When I hear the term pop punk I think Blink 182. I'm sure these days they're old hat and there's younger bands that were influenced by them. I don't care. I hate pop punk. Rightfully, I think bands like the Ramones, the Real Kids and the Buzzcocks should be the bands called pop punk. Bands like Blink 182 just seem like pop music with loud guitars. I didn't go into any of that with these guys because once I get started on that path all critical hell would break loose. Plus, if they dig it, good for them, I digress. The conversation continued lighting briefly on the first generation of punk rock. I told them about Killed By Death, a blog I've linked to multiple times over the years. I checked tonight and it appears to be offline. As they seemed interested in that site and it's now kaput, as a consolation I'm re-posting Don Letts's Punk: Attitude. If you don't know early punk rock, it's a must. Letts was there, as were the others in the film. It's The best punk rock documentary I've seen and I've seen a bunch. It's been here before, blame the egret.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you rock, tom! we respect that you don’t like pop punk, and we have huge respect for true punk. thanks for sharing the snowy egret experience with us as an “old fart,” we found it to be profoundly authentic as far as experiences go. it was a pleasure, my friend!

-Adam and Austin, your friends from the pier

Tom G. said...

Thanks for the comment guys! I'm one of those guys that my Dad used to describe as the person who, when being asked what time it is, has to first tell the other person how their watch was made. In other words I know I over-share. Again, blame the egret!

BTW Killed By Death is back online tonight. So, I'll be posting the Dils just for you two.

Enjoy the rest of your stay!

bing stills said...

Egrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention.