Monday, May 2, 2022

SOUP-TO-NUTS-ABILLY


I can't tell you how long it's been since I've run into a band up my alley as much as this one, the Blue Devils. A crunchy assault, seriously there's some Heartbreakers and Stooges things going on, and a singer that sounds like Gerry Roslie's (Sonics) younger brother. And fuzz. This is good shit. Unfortunately, two 45s and one LP doesn't give one a hell of a lot to snack on. So be it, beggars can't be choosers.

I've only sampled a few songs so far but it's enough to make me add them to the list. One thing, the sound I describe above is one that I've heard on a few songs, but I checked out their cover of Muddy Waters's "Rollin' and Tumblin'" on their Bandcamp page and it's total Gun Club with a dash of Cramps. Eh, again, good enough influences, I guess. They do it effectively.

There are, though, a couple things that bug. One is that I can't find much of anything on the Blue Devils, no doubt due to their short existence, but still. Hardly any info even on their Bandcamp page. The other thing, and this really bugs, is that when mentioning Gerry Roslie above I couldn't remember whether he was still alive or not. Worse, I couldn't find confirmation one way or another online. Here we go..

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Blue Devils - Fooled By You mp3
at Office Naps
The Blue Devils - Shot Down
(streaming) at YouTube
The Blue Devils - Tornado
(streaming) at YouTube
The Blue Devils
at Bandcamp

3 comments:

Marc said...

Not definitive, but Roslie seems to still be alive, though he stopped touring with the Sonics a few years ago. He'll be 78 this month.

Marc

Tom G. said...

Thanks Marc. He really set the bar for throat shredding. He's due a rest!

Marc said...

Indeed!

Marc