Friday, August 27, 2021

RANDOM SCORES SOUND BETTER


A few nights ago there was shit that needed to be done in my apartment. My next door neighbors were out for the night. They're cool people so I try not to blast anything too loud. But, they were gone so I had to blast something. I pulled out a compilation I snagged about twenty years ago, Africafunk. It was used and I didn't even look to see who was on it. If I had I would have seen Fela, Tony Allen and Antibalas, but it was so cheap that I didn't even bother to look. The CD turned out to be a bargain; great, great, shit, beginning to end. By far, my favorite song was by a band I'd never heard if, The Rwenzori's (hyphen placement theirs). It's the first song on the CD, "Handsome Boy (Parts 1 & 2)" and by the middle of it, I knew shit was not going to get done. Had myself undulating like someone trying to scare a sea of muddy Deadheads. Half calisthenics, all spazz. It felt great.

The song is such an oddball the extensive liner notes skip past them saying that there's no biographical information available. Granted, this was over twenty years ago. So I checked Discogs and found just three entries (they do have used 45s for sale). I'd just as soon not look further though, plenty of time for that. For now I'll retire to the living room and let the ants take control of my pants.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

No comments: