Friday, May 21, 2021

TELL YOUR DAD HE'S WRONG.


I'm probably late to the party but what's new, right? A video of an L.A. punk band. of girls aged 10-16. has gone viral. (Never thought I'd say that, not in 2021). They're good, not good for their age, just good. The song had me looking at other things by them and guess what? They're good. And they make you think.

The song, "Racist Sexist Boy" has been posted by Rolling Stone, NPR, NBC, Variety, the Washington Post,...it's everywhere. It begins with an introduction.   "A little while before we went into lock down, a boy in my class came up to me and said that his dad told him to stay away from Chinese people. After I told him that I was Chinese, he backed away from me. Eloise and I wrote this song based on that experience" "So this is about him and all those other racist sexist boys in this world. One, two, three, four..." and in they dig.

I've read a few posts about this song and one thing that seems to escape some of these writers is that this is a teachable moment. I'll do the honors. Attention all you racist sexist boys of the world. Guess what? You can disagree with your parents. That doesn't make you bad. That means you are growing up. You're in a different generation than your parents. It's gonna happen. Let it.

Okay, that's taken care of. Now, the other two cool things about this band. One is that they cover Bikini Kill's "Rebel Girl". There's a new torch being passed. When I was their age, the torch was Chuck Berry. Now it's Bikini Kill. Hell yeah, it's all good.

The other cool thing is, man, just think how cool it would be to be in their shoes. They're not even in high school and they're already a thing. They've gotta be having the times of their lives. Good for them. Being as good as they are, bet you dollars for donuts they'll be legends in twenty years.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl mp3 at Tully Craft Reference material.
Video:
The Linda Lindas - Racist Sexist Boy
at LA Public Library's Twitter
TEENtastic Tuesdays: AAPI Heritage Month Kick-off with The Linda Lindas
at YouTube Entire show
The Linda Lindas - Rebel Girl
at YouTube

No comments: