Monday, February 8, 2021

WHO RAVED?


I was looking for something completely different when I ran into Jet Harris. Okay, so here we have the bass player for the Shadows gone solo. Not exactly the instrument to break out and do the solo thing, so I kind of had to hear what it was like. I mean, how often do you run across solo stuff from a bass player? Yeah, John Entwistle did at least one solo LP, and Gene Simmons did back when all four members of Kiss found a new way to bilk their fans. But in the early sixties? The first one I listened to, "Raved", was all I needed. Jet Harris was no longer a member of the Shadows or a bass player that went solo. Jet Harris is now officially in the book as the guy who could make his instrument fart.  "Raved" starts with a distorted bass, playing lead. Then, at :20, he lets it rip. Braaaappp!!!! That's all I needed to hear. He does it again at 1:09 and a third time in the outro. This sort of shit slays me. It may seem juvenile to hear it as a fart, but, c'mon, farts are funny, especially when they don't stink. Said the juvenile.

As for the other stuff, it's like Duane Eddy. Apparently Harris also played guitar so "Raved" is likely an anomaly. Regardless, the other stuff is very cool as well, fartless though it may be. "Diamonds" is rad, killer little drum break in the middle, with guitar supposedly by a young Jimmy Page. I don't particularly care. It's good on it's own merits.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Jet Harris - Raved mp3
at Rocky 52
Jet Harris - Diamonds mp3
at Rocky 52
Jet Harris - Besame Mucho mp3
at Rocky 52

2 comments:

Dangold said...

The "Raved" link is also "Besame Mucho."

Tom G. said...

Fixed! Thanks for the heads up. Now you can listen to the farts!