Monday, February 17, 2020

THE OTHER QUEEN

The other night I ran into an X-Ray Spex song on a post somewhere and I got to thinking. Poly Styrene was a special breed, wasn't she? If you know X-Ray Spex, you know what I'm taking about. A great punk band, with her as singer, and a sax to boot. What really made her stand apart was that she really didn't seem to be beholden to punk rock. More than anything, she seemed emboldened by the whole DIY anything-goes thing. And she wrote good songs, really good songs. 

It got me thinking, actually worrying, that she might slowly be forgotten. I hadn't searched for anything regarding X-Ray Spex or Poly Styrene in a while so I did. I shouldn't have worried. There's a fuckload of stuff online now, and a semi-new biography and a documentary in the works. Good. Let it spread.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
X Ray Spex - Oh Bondage, Up Yours mp3 at Quit Mumbling
X Ray Spex - I'm A Poseur mp3
at BZH Rock
X Ray Spex - I Live Off You mp3
at BZH Rock
X Ray Spex - Identity mp3
at Tumblr
X Ray Spex - I'm A Cliché mp3
at Killed By Death
X Ray Spex - Art-I-ficial mp3
at Tumblr
X Ray Spex - I'm Obsessed With You mp3
at BZH Rock
Visit:
Dayglo! The Poly Styrene Story - Article about the book at The Vinyl Factory
X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescence
- Long LP review at Pitchfork

No comments: