Monday, August 5, 2019

SOMETIMES THINGS GO RIGHT

I was on Facebook and it was depressing. Realistic and necessary. The events of this past weekend, the shootings, demand our attention. I was not expecting to find something that would distract me enough to post tonight. Then I ran into a post of Jessie Hill's "Ooh-Poo-Pah-Doo", and in the comments, someone mentioned a cover by a band called Esse and the Showmen, recorded at El Cajon High School, a school that happens to be about twenty miles from here. He described it as garage. Say no more. I actually found it on YouTube. For a few minutes, gun violence went for a piss break. The song was that good. Not your typical garage, but raunchy enough. So, was this a local outfit that I hadn't heard about? Before my time, but still, I have older friends. So I went looking for a bio or any other background info and I ran into that clipping above, from the Chula Vista Star-News, from 1965. The 45 was recorded in 1963, so they were together for at leasr a couple more years, still big enough to get column inches about their Howdy Dance appearance. Hell, that's Mayberry enough for me.

The bonus: I happened on a post at Dead Wax with a link to download, at MediaFire (click the green download button, one pop up likely). That's enough, from new-to-me cover to mp3 in, I don't know, it might have been a half hour. Then I was reminded of that clip of the High Numbers (the Who) playing the song right about that same time, though not at a Howdy Dance. One would hope the ASB members didn't get a free ride again.


~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Esse and the Showmen - Ooh-Poo-Pah-Doo (streaming) at YouTube
Esse and the Showmen - Ooh-Poo-Pah-Doo mp3 (via MediaFire) at Dead Wax NOTE: Click the green download button, one pop up likely.

No comments: