Thursday, August 29, 2019

THE "OH YEAH, THAT ONE."

I had to post this one, Johnny Thunders's cover of "Treat Her Right", from an LP of covers he did with Patti Palladin, Copycats. When I first heard it, in 1980, it turned me on to Roy Head and the Traits. I vaguely remembered hearing the original version by Head in my preteen years, likely out of my Dad's workbench radio. That was where most mid-sixties songs came from when I was a kid, songs I would later recognize when I became more cognizant of music. At that age I didn't even have a favorite song. When I heard Thunders's version it was familiar so I had to find the original version. Keep in mind this was pre-internet. Back then only half the battle was finding the song title and artist. The hard part was finding actual physical product. There were no mp3s, no YouTube, no Wikipedia, no Ebay. And, that dilemma, is exactly what records stores were good for, especially the smaller independent record stores. It always seemed like the smaller the record store, the more people you're likely to know, the more people you could shoot the shit about music with, and the more people you could share info with. And the more likely someone would know the song. You should go to your local record store. The price might be a little higher, but you're paying for something entirely different. It's a flesh and blood experience, bits be damned. You do not want that to get away. Saddle up tightwad.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Johnny Thunders and Patti Palladin - Treat Her Right mp3 at For The Sake of the Song
Johnny Thunders - Great Big Kiss mp3
at Tumblr

No comments: