Saturday, August 10, 2019

NO WORDS

After a couple days of digesting the latest compilation by Kogar the Swinging Ape, Bali Ha'i Twisten' Train, I figured out why I was listening to it again and again. It's thirty four instrumentals that were posted over the course of a few months at Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban as "Instrumental 45 of the Week". They're mostly guitar instrumentals and most, if not all, by bands that you've never heard of. Not even a Travis Wammack level of obscure. These are downright nobodies. Without looking I'd guess that the average discography of these bands was two 45s long. So it is with Apeman. Even in the heyday of thrifting, you'd be hard pressed to uncover this many worthy, practically anonymous, instrumental 45s. Pat him on his hairy back.

So what sucked me into multiple listenings wasn't something I immediately noticed, but then it dawned on me. At different times, I'd pause to really listen to the guitar work.  I realized that the songs I was digging on the most were the ones that I was trying to pick apart. Take the Moon Men's "Some Kinda Nut". When I was listening to that my first thought was that they had definitely heard Link Wray. But then there was a kind of disjointed solo and I was thinking "Robert Quine has definitely heard this record." Thirty four songs of that. With quite a few good band names and song titles, from nobodies.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Moon Men - Some Kinda Nut mp3 at Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban
The mix:
Bali Ha'i Twistin' Train
at Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban Thirty four individual obscuro instros in a zip.

2 comments:

Espen E said...

Hey Tom! No wonder "Some Kinda Nut" reminds you of Link Wray, cause that's who you're actually hearing :). It's straight outta Wray's 3-track Shack! Remember Norton Records' "Missing Links" series from years back? The Moon Men are featured on vol. 3.

e

Tom G. said...

Ha! My memory may be shot, but at least my ear isn't!