Sunday, May 12, 2019

IT'S MOTHERS DAY SOMEWHERE

When I was trying to think of songs for Mothers Day, before I went the random route, the first one that came to mind was "Sonny's Lettah" by Linton Kwesi Johnson. I second guessed myself and went with something else and I shouldn't have. It isn't a Mothers Day song, but a recited letter, from a jailed son to his mother. When I was thinking about the song today I realized that, while it is a song with social commentary, it's also about the unique bond between a son and his mother. Hey, it made me think of writing a letter to my Mom but she's no longer here.

Johnson doesn't sing or toast. He recites. His timing is what makes it. The pauses, the pace, and all that meter and such.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Linton Kwesi Johnson - Sonny's Lettah (Anti-sus Poem) (streaming) at YouTube With lyrics.
Linton Kwesi Johnson - Fite Dem Back mp3
at ATumblr (?)
Linton Kwesi Johnson - Bass Culture mp3
at Arkao666 (?)
Linton Kwesi Johnson - Making History (live) mp3
at Pixie Radio

No comments: