Thursday, May 23, 2019

DIDN'T GET THE POCKETS MEMO

Daptone just released their 100th single. I'd forgotten about the early days of the label, so I started near or at the beginning. The Sugarman 3. I got as far as them and that's as far as I'm going tonight. A couple hours of looking back and I got no further than one band, but I know a lot more than I did. I ran into a great profile of Neal Sugarman, the band's leader, sax player and co-founder of Daptone. In the middle of that profile, a link to a video of Sugarman's high school band, Boys Life. Oh, man, did he he ever bloom late. The early thing is interesting in its simplicity. They're earnest, I'll give them that much. Mindblowing though that Sugarman would go on to play behind Amy Winehouse, Mark Ronson, Steve Cropper and Al Green, not to mention half of the acts on Daptone (Lee Fields, Sharon Jones, etc.).

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sugarman 3 - Chicken Half mp3 at Rubber City Review
Sugarman 3 with Naomi Davis - Promised Land mp3 at Solid Goldstein
Sugarman 3 with Lee Fields - Stand Up mp3 at Le Mellotron
Sugarman 3 - Rudy's Intervention mp3 at Magnet
Sugarman 3 - Soul Donkey mp3
at The Frump

Video:
Boys Life (Boston Good Day Show) w/Sugarman on sax
at YouTube 1981
Visit:
Daptone’s Neal Sugarman On The Sweet Return Of The Sugarman 3 at Village Voice 2012

No comments: