Wednesday, May 22, 2019

SUN RA PARTY TONIGHT! ALRIGHT!

If you're not into jazz, I understand completely. I was pretty much a hold out for years. You can thank all the latter day smooth jazz for my avoidance. Over time the good shit crept in. Brubeck, Coltrane, you know both coasts, Miles, Charlie Parker, blah blah blah. The typical beginner shit. Sun Ra came into my peripheral space via a cover of his "Rocket Number Nine" by NRBQ, It was unlike everything else on their first LP, so I had to find out who this character Sun Ra was. Holy shit, talk about a fruitful hunt. It's still paying dividends.


This morning I turned on the jazz station and there was a song that sounded a lot like Sun Ra. It was Sun Ra. I about lost my shit. That's the way to start a day. To top it off, it was the middle of an hour of Sun Ra. On FM airwaves. In the morning. Seriously. Turns out it's his birthday today. That reminded me of a Sun Ra docu-live thing Aquarium Drunkard posted recently. So, here you go.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~  
Listen:
Sun Ra - Angels and Demons at Play mp3 at Destination Out
Sun Ra - the Sun Man Speaks mp3 at Now You're at Songblague 
Sun Ra - Door to the Cosmos mp3 at I'm Waking Up to... 
Sun Ra and the Myth Science Arkestra - Eve mp3 at Now You're at Songblague
Sun Ra and his Astro-Solar Infinity Arkestra -To Natures God mp3 at Avant Avant
Sun Ra and his Astro-Solar Infinity Arkestra - Lemuria mp3 at Avant Avant
Sun Ra - Omnisonicism mp3 at Lost Tones 15 plus minutes that gets progressively further out there 
Sun Ra - Intensity mp3 at Lost Tones
Spoken word:
Sun Ra - Live, 1976 at WXPN at  UBU Web 26 cuts, spoken word with musical accompaniment

No comments: