Friday, December 28, 2018

ADULT ORIENTED NEIGHBOR ANNOYERS

A couple weeks ago I was listening to the jazz station, half paying attention when they introduced the song. I heard Ornette Coleman, and as they listed the other musicians I was distracted, I thought that they said Eric Dolphy and Don Cherry. As the song played, it was "Ho-ly shit, what is this?!? I just stopped what I was doing. Sat right in the center of the speakers and just soaked in it. Fuck, was it haywire.

It was late, and the computer was off, so I just made a note of the time so I could go to the station's website and look at the playlist. Wouldn't you know it, the fucking playlist listed the wrong song. For the last week and a half I've been trying to find it and I finally did tonight. It's "Free Jazz" from the album of the same name. Duh. Forehead slap, hard. The thing has been in on my Amazon wish list for over a year. The song is the only one the album, a side each for parts 1 and 2. It's crazy.

The full title, Free Jazz: A Collective Improvisation, credited to the Ornette Coleman Double Quartet, which included Dolphy and Cherry, as well as Freddie Hubbard, Charlie Haden and so on. Check the Wiki page, it lists all the personnel, in which channel you'll hear them, and has a complete play by play listing of where in the song you can hear any one of the members' solos. 

There's a couple other songs down there that I came across, just as crazy. It's kind of funny, in my younger years I was like any other younger idiot. You blame the neighbors if there's a noise complaint, it's never your fault. Once the cops split, you turn it up. I have been on both ends of that shit. When I was on the snotty offensive, I'd blast Flipper or the Germs, maybe something a little WTF, like the Legendary Stardust Cowboy. Now, if I was to go on the offensive, I think it would have to be some of this crazy jazz shit. You can't ignore it, it's impossible to chill. "Comin' in low, neighbors!"

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Ornette Coleman Double Quartet - Free Jazz (Parts 1 and 2) (streaming) at YouTube
Ornette Coleman -  Civilization Day (streaming) at YouTube
Ornette Coleman - Midnight Sunrise mp3 at Rock Town Hall

No comments: