Friday, July 4, 2014

SHEEP FARMERS? MY ASS.

I gotta stop this right here. I was just going to post Linda Gail Lewis's "I'm On Fire", for no other reason that she's Jerry Lee's sister, and it's a song that the Killer himself recorded. That was it. But then I saw the songwriting credit, B. Feldman, J. Goldstein, R. Gottehrer; in other words, the Strangeloves. Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein, and Richard Gottehrer were songwriters that decided to dabble in recording. You can guess what happened: a fictional backstory and a hit record, followed by a mad dash to assemble a band to tour.

The Strangeloves are probably best known for their version of "Night Time" from the original Nuggets compilation, and the original version of "I Want Candy", covered in the eighties by Bow Wow Wow. Assorted factoids: They wrote "My Boyfriend's Back", a hit for the Angels, and later recorded as the Beach-Nuts with the Angels. They discovered the McCoys (who were going by Ricky Z and the Raiders) while on tour. Richard Gottehrer went on to co-found Sire Records and produced the first LPs by Blondie, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, and Robert Gordon. Goldstein later managed the Circle Jerks.

So what of the Linda Gail Lewis cover of their "I'm On Fire"? It's surprisingly listenable rockabilly, as is the Strangeloves original. (It sort of sounds like they wrote it with Jerry Lee Lewis in mind.) While I'm not nuts about her voice, there is some similarity with Jerry Lee in her delivery, and there's some respectable piano pounding going on. No clue if that's her bro, but if it isn't it's definitely someone trying to copy him.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Strangeloves - I'm On Fire mp3 (via Mediefire) at The Devil's Music
Linda Gail Lewis - I'm On Fire mp3 at Rocky 52 
The Strangeloves - Night Time Fire mp3 at X818
The Strangeloves - I Want Candy mp3 at Radio George
Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy mp3 at Shelter From the Norm
The Beach-Nuts -  Out in the Sun (streaming) at YouTube The Strangeloves with the Angels
Video:

No comments: