Wednesday, June 18, 2014

STILL THEY COME

A few years back there was all of this talk about a soul revival going on, or starting, or some other tangent. Amy Winehouse, Sharon Jones, Daptone Records, Eli Paperboy Reed, Ryan Shaw, and so on; all that shit going on around the same time. Plus a bunch of good specialty labels reissuing obscure old stuff. Everything was going along just fine. Then the nitpicking: who came first, who's the most authentic, who was the guiding light. Roughly a decade later, it doesn't matter much at all. The massive success of Amy Whitehouse was sadly short lived and there was no apparent successor, at least in terms of widespread popularity. So it's still in these little pockets.

Either I've had my head in the sand, or I just stumbled onto a pocket heretofore unknown to me. The Foxionaires, with Brandy Butler. Their particular pocket, Biel, Switzerland, population 50,000. (How about a Hee Haw salute?). This is some good stuff, from just a few years back. The last activity I ran into was a live date from late 2013. I also put another track down there, as a sort of vintage soul control group. You know, just go compare. Get out of my hair.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Foxionaires with Brandy Butler - Drive Me mp3 at Soul Garage

No comments: