Sunday, October 8, 2023

KNOW THY FULL ALBUM


You have to have lived with an album for a number of years before you all of a sudden realize that you have a handful of go-to deep cuts that were never consciously on your map.. The Faces' Ohh La La is like that for me, a great album, I must have bought at least four or five used copies over the years. Because it doesn't have any hits, or even well known songs (with the possible exception of the title cut) people dump them, or at least they used to, often landing in 99 cent bins. But it really is a great LP. Here's two go-tos.:

"Fly In the Ointment" sounds as if the Faces (sans Stewart) are trying to come up with their version of a Booker T and the MGs thing, with. Ian McLagan as Booker T and Ron Wood as Steve Cropper, in roles anyway. While it ain't no Memphis I know, it's an awesome jam. The other song, "Borstal Boys" is down there because I've never heard it played in the wild and it really should be heard. A great completely overlooked rocker.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Faces - Fly In the Ointment mp3
at Internet Archive
The Faces - Borstal Boys mp3
at Internet Archive

2 comments:

missjulied said...

I'm pretty sure I used to play Borstal Boys when we DJ'ed at the Panther!

Tom G. said...

Hey Julie! I don't doubt that you played it because when I mentioned that I'd never heard it in the wild I was thinking "Did I ever play it when I DJd?" and now I know why that popped up in my head!

Hope things are good for you and Denny!
-T