Sunday, September 17, 2023

SQUEEZE BOX COOL


I completely forgot that yesterday was Mexican Independence Day. And Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rica all had their Independence Days last Thursday, the 15th. Chile has their on the 18th and Belize on the 21st. But the U.S. has a grab bag way of celebrating all of them, Hispanic Heritage Month. That awkward name, as opposed to Latinx or some other more appropriate term, was picked up by the Washington eggheads from the U.S. Census (read about it here). Anyway, it gives me a opportunity to feature music from all of Latin America for the next few weeks, not exclusively but more than usual.



For whatever reason, the first person that came to mind was Flaco Jimenez. He was actually born in Texas but is Mexican and his fix was Norteño, Tex Mex and Tejano music. When I hear his music it reminds me of my first visits to Mexico. I grew up (and am still growing up) in San Diego, roughly twenty miles from Tijuana. A rite of passage when I was younger was to go to TJ and drink. The drinking age in Mexico was 18 and in San Diego the drinking age is 21. It is not hard math for a thirsty young adult. In the bars, restaurants and in shops you heard all sorts of Mexican music. A lot of it was like Flaco's. I'm thirsty.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Flaco Jiménez - El Pata Caliente mp3 at Let's Polka
Flaco Jiménez - Laureles mp3 at Let's Polka

No comments: